There have been a recent rash of auto burglaries and auto thefts occurring in the Northeast Illinois and Northwest Indiana areas.
These burglaries have been crimes of opportunity. Burglars are targeting vehicles that aren’t locked and in some instances keys left in the vehicle.
To protect yourself and property, here are a few steps you can take to prevent auto break-ins:
- Always lock your car doors
- Don’t leave valuables in your cars or at least keep out of sight
- Consider removing your I-Pass and garage door opener daily
- Place all shopping bags in the trunk and remove as soon as you get home
- If possible, park in a well-lit area
- If you have a vehicle alarm and/or anti-theft device, make sure you use it
- Do not leave mail, bank statements, or any other documents in your car
If you have questions, contact the non-emergency Beecher Police Department number at 708-946-6388 or 9-1-1 in the event of an emergency.
– Greg Smith, Chief of Police